- pork belly (liempo), 1 kg
- salt, 2 1/3 tbsp
- sugar,3/4 tbsp
- prague powder, 1/4 tsp
- ascorbic acid, 250 mg
- weighing scale
- chopping board
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
1. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
2. Rub the ingredients on the skin side of the trimmed bacon, and then on the fleshly portion.
3. Pack the slabs skin down on an enameled or non-corrosive container.
4. Cure in the refrigerator for 1 week.
5. After curing, soak the slabs for a few minutes in warm water.
6. Drain the bacon.
7. Smoke for 2 hours.
8. Dry for 9 days.
9. Slice thinly.
10. Cook by frying in its own lard.
- Beef brisket, cubed 1x1/2" or any boneless beef - 1 kg
Cover Pickle Ingredients:
- 1 cup - Water
- 1 Tbsp - Salt, refined
- 1-1/4 Tbsp - Sugar, refined
- 1 tsp - Curing salt
- 1/4 tsp - Vitamin C powder
- 1 tsp - Phosphate
Add 2 cups water to the meat and cook with the following ingredients:
- 1 tsp - Nutmeg
- 1 tsp - Corned beef seasoning
- 1 tsp - Garlic powder
- 1 tsp - Vetsin*
- 2 Tbsp - Trimix (after cooking)**
- 2 Tbsp - Carageenan
* Add after flaking
** For every 300 grams broth add 2 Tbsp Trimix and 1 tsp carageenan previously disolved in 1/4 cup water and boil it until thickens and add it to 700 grams flaked lean meat to make 1000 grams product.
1. Select good quality raw materials.
2. Cube the meat into 1 x 1/2 inch
3. Prepare the cover pickle (40 degree salinity)
4. Immerse raw materials into the cover pickle.
5. Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or refregerate (34-36 degreeF) for 1-2 days.
6. Flake. Separate lean from the stock (sabaw)
7. Pack in polyethylene bags and keep in freezer.
source: dost.gov.ph, picture from www.obsessionwithfood.com