Successful Franchise business owners are not smarter than the rest of us, but they have a trait that usually distinguishes them from the rest of he masses. Confidence! Because of their situation, they feel much more secure about the future.
So, if businessmen aren’t smarter, why do they have a lot more money than most of us? A few reasons come to mind:
- People with money often inherit it. Or, they inherit the opportunities that come from their families having money. This often includes access to a network of well-heeled franchise businessmen and investors.
- They are in the right place at the right time. For example, during Microsoft’s heyday, many employees became millionaires and retired after working with the company only 5 years.
- People who make millions from the ground up, from their own efforts, are rare and usually have a good business sense. Most millionaires aren’t in this category.
And, if people with advanced college degrees aren’t really smarter, they must have something (besides confidence). So, what is it?
- They have the financial resources to pay for college, whether from their family’s savings, financial aide, or working their way through school.
- They usually have good memories, or at least a good short-term memory that enables them to memorize numerous facts they promptly forget after the exams are over. (Most educational systems still reward good memories over the ability to analyze and creatively solve problems.)
- They have a certain amount of discipline. (Or, they hire ghostwriters to write their masters theses and doctoral dissertations for them! Yes—some people do this!)
Life circumstances, including those that evolve from the choices we make, can make a big difference. For example, when people get married or have children at a young age, it limits their opportunities for going to school. Sometimes people must take care of disabled family members or younger siblings. There are many life events, some unforeseen, that can make it nearly impossible for someone to complete a college, or even a high-school, education. But most of these have nothing to do with intelligence.
So! If you have been feeling “less than” because you don’t have a degree, an advanced degree, or a million dollars in the bank, please stop beating yourself up. Most likely, you are just as smart as the next person. You are just on a different path.