Farm animals like cattle, swines, goats, ducks, etc. can also acquire diseases quite often, however, there's a cheaper alternative for most common animal ailments. Instead of giving them medicines from vet stores, why not give them herbal plants that can be easily found right in your backyard or within your farm. It costs nothing but as effective as the meds.
The following have been tried and found helpful for the following animal ailments such as:
- Lagundi - crush ½ to 1 kilo leaves, mix with 2 to 3 spoons of sugar , give to the animal
- Ipil-ipil - pulverize half a glass of dried seeds , mix with about ½ or 3/4 glass of water, give one dose. Do not give this to a pregnant animal.
- Cadris - wash and crush about ½ to 1 kilo leaves, give to the animal
- Amargoso leaves - crush ½ to 1 kilo leaves, give the juice 1 to 3 times.
- Bunga - pulverize 8-10 young bunga, put in a glass of water and give to the animal.
External Parasites (Lice)
- Kakawate - wash and crush the fresh leaves - apply on the affected part once or twice a day for one week.
- Acapulco - do as in kakawate, but apply 2 times a day for 2 weeks.
Loose bowel movement in animals may be due to microbes, worms, contaminated food or a combination of these. The signs are fever, watery discharge, and loss of appetite.
Because of loss of water, salt and nourishment in the body, it is necessary to give first aid to the animal. A good cure is young coconut juice with brown sugar and salt. To arrest the discharge, give concoction of cogon roots, guava or caimito leaves.
- Caimito - boil ½ kilo leaves in 3 glasses of water until the amount is reduced to a glass. Cool and give to the animal two times a day for 2 days.
- Banana - feed the animal with fresh leaves 2 times a day for four days or until the animal has recovered.
- Carrot - clean the carrot, scrape, and mix with dried tobacco leaves. Apply on the wound once a day or every other day.
- Eggplant - pound eggplant leaves, apply on the wound once or twice daily for one week.
source: www.stii.dost.gov.ph, picture from allnaturalbeauty.us